NLADA promotes policies that advance justice for low-income communities.
Creating equal justice requires effective policies in all levels of government and at varied organizations. NLADA works across a wide range of issues to produce change, from advocating for increased funding for legal aid programs and public defense systems to helping organizations build leadership capacity and racial equity.
Central parts of our work include:
- Advocating for increased federal funds for civil legal aid and public defense programs
- Responding to proposed Legal Services Corporation regulations affecting legal aid organizations
- Expanding the research capacity of public defenders across the country
- Demonstrating the importance of policies that help recruit and retain the highest quality attorneys to civil legal aid and public defense, such as loan forgiveness
- Providing training that builds racial equity
Taking place in collaboration with our members and other people from communities across the country, these efforts share a common goal: producing excellence in civil legal aid and public defense programs in order to create justice and opportunity for low-income people.