Establish beneficial goals
All organizations have specific goals they want to achieve with their media outreach. These goals should define how you promote your program through the media and even how you respond to a reporter’s request for an interview. Here are some common goals of legal aid and defender groups.
• Raise the visibility of an organization
• Enhance fundraising in both the public and private arena
• Promote services to clients in need
• Influence public policy at the local, state and federal level
• Increase awareness of an issue or change misconceptions about it