Be creative in how the message gets out
In order to be successful in a media outreach campaign, it is vital that the target audience has easy access to the information being promoted. Different audiences get their information in different ways, so it is important to use the most effective venues for your audience. Consider these tips when promoting your message.
• Determine the most popular ways your target audience gets its information
• Plan in promoting your program or organization through multiple modes
• While they may be the best choice for your specific target audience, do not limit yourself to traditional mediums, such as television, radio and newspaper stories and reports
• Choose an appropriate messenger for your target audience. Much of the initial presentation made on behalf of the cause will depend on the messenger. It needs to be someone who can bring the idea across in a simple and understandable manner. It may even require different messengers for different aspects of the campaign
• Using “new media” like Web sites, e-mail and electronic newsletters is sometimes a low-cost alternative to traditional advertising
• On a local level, in person presentations to city councils, county boards, civic groups and community meetings can help garner support